Tuesday, October 31, 2006

rekindling the fire

I title this post as it describes my situation and my current state of being. I know those you who read my chronicle will say didn't you post something to the effect of a "turning point" I must be honest and say that even as I wrote that I was keeping something back. That something was a habitual sin almost an addiction of sorts. As of last week I put it out of my life now and with God's help for good.

Having that in my life and not fully acknowledging it (even worse consciously doing it) made my life one big bowl of slime. I honestly felt dirty and unworthy to call myself a child of the one true God. This all came upon me by listening to words of John Piper as he was progressing through a study of Romans.

That is where I am at the moment. Another failing in me is for the longest time my journey so far here at seminary has been one of "look at me, I'm going to be a pastor" I must remember that this will never be about me

I won't post my prayer requests in this forum, but if you'd like to know what to pray about for just comment indicating and I'll be glad to tell.

I must adamantly recommend John Piper his daily podcast is on iTunes or through the link above.

3 comments:

Rikki said...

And that is the whole point my brother. We must realize that we are men made of flesh. We are also spirit, born of God. We in and of ourselves can do nothing. That's why works although good and to be done are not an ends to the means. We must come to the Father which gives us the Breath of Life[Spirit] and ask Hime to renew our spirit Therefore giving rise to the eternal Hope through which we can face any challenge & overcome any mountain.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I live in Minneapolis and I visited John Piper's church last Spring(?) He is a decent man but I don't think he preaches total freedom in Christ. He still hangs on to some works-righteousness stuff. Overall he keeps his integrity (compare to recent scandal of large church pastor.)

Speaking of that, you must recognize how you will come under attack as a pastor (my father is one.)

Also, the real danger that Ted Haggard fell into is that he got into materialism. I visted his church in Colo. and it had that conspicuous flavor of materialism. He was on the top and became too good for everyone - no accountability. He got spoiled by the riches offered by having a huge church and got away from the basics of what he was supposed to be doing.

Kevin Stilley said...

We continue to keep you in our prayers.