Friday, August 12, 2005

Dead Poets Society



I just finished watching the Dead Poets society for the innumerable time. Every time I watch I'm inspired by it. The story is about a group of High School age guys in a college prep school. They are in this school mainly because brothers or family preceded them. There are pressures from the world mainly parents to succeed in their studies so that they will be able to go on to the noble pursuits of being Doctors, Bankers, Lawyers, Accountants etc.. Conformity at its best.

The students are introduced to their new English Teacher Mr. Keating played by Robin Williams. On the first day of class Mr Keating welcomes them to class by walking through the classroom and out the door. He challenges the boys to latch on to the Latin Sentiment, "Carpe Diem", he also challenges them to make their lives extraordinary. Throughout the class Keating introduces the boys to the likes of Thoreau, Whitman, Shelley, Shakespeare, and a lot of Romantic and Post-Civil War literature. This is in contrast to what the majority of the faculty likes and prefers in that most of the faculty prefer the realists.

Sorry about that I should write movie review for the the local paper. I wrote that to say this: In my experience with watching the movie I've had people tell me that they don't like it cause it ends open-ended. To this I reply "Apparently you weren't watching the movie then" Ethan Hawke plays an character who is inserted uncomfortably into a tight-nit group of guys and is forced to fit-in.

I love the movie cause I see a boy become and man and for probably the first time in his life the light bulb finally comes on and he finally gets. As Mr. Keating is leaving having been dismissed from teaching if you've seen the movie you know why. Ethan Hawke's character finally steps out in boldness climbing on his desk and salutes his former teacher.

No comments: