Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Learning to be Lonely

No posting in over a month, I have some excuses for that, but why bother with excusing oneself when you can get right down to business.

I'm sure you've heard as well I have heard the to be in the ministry especially in the pastoral role whether it be Senior or Student it can and will be lonely at times. Lonely in regards to you are in the position of leadership and everyone is looking to you to know where the church or ministry is going and and what the focus or intent will be.

As the Pastor you are at the "top of the heap" so to speak, the only other person or source you have to look to is God the Holy Spirit and His guidance to you through his Word. Other than that you are alone by yourself. Now, your not alone, alone you have to body of Christ around you so your not alone in that sense of the word. But as leader you are the "Top Dog."

I say all this to say this: That's the feel of my life as of late, it has a very lonely feel to it. There are a lot of changes going on around my life: several of my friends are getting married and or engaged, and we are not as close as we used to be, through no fault on either side of the equation. Hear me when I say this is not complaining or Pining at the situation and circumstance. There are changes occurring in my life I'm currently or continuing to learn what it means to live in the present, rather than worrying about the future, I'm learning live my life as life of man of Deuteronomy 8:3; As man who doesn't live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Living out the knowledge that everything I do is an act of worship not just what I do within the four walls of the church. Living out the Christian life and all that entails out of sense of obedience and passion, rather than out of duty and rigor. The reason for the loneliness, personally I think it's God's way of preparing me for future ministry situations where I will be alone so to speak in my role as leader(if it's the Lord's will that I should be so, of course).

Through all of this I've learned that sanctification is not easy it can be at times very tough and very trying. I've been aware of this very recently, but the redeeming factor is that the essence of Truth that can be found in a Caedmon's Call song "Oh Lord Your Love" it is in this song that these words are sung:

"Oh Lord your love is new with every morning, Your faithfulness it gets me through the night, You bid me come, You know that I am weary, Your yoke is easy, your burden is light."

Grace, Peace, and Coffee.

No comments: