Sunday, December 28, 2008

Traveling the Well-Worn Path

One thing I've found in the journey thus far I find that the path that we travel as Christians as well worn; not only by those who have gone before us, but sadly by our own two feet. I can freely admit to all who would read this offering, that many times before I've walked past a familiar tree or rock along the way that I can swear I've seen before. Sadly, truth be known I have seen that tree or that rock.

How we come by that familiar rock or tree is that we get it within ourselves that we know the way and can get to where we are going without the help we so desperately need. So despite the fact that we have a very knowledgeable guide(the Holy Spirit) and a very detailed map(The Word) we strike out on our own and the inevitable eventually happens and we are lost and unable to find the way.

Luckily enough we have a compassionate guide who loves us and is not dismayed by the fact that we have delayed our arrival to our final destination, who will come and find us right where we are, and put us squarely back on the path towards to end goal.

I've been re-tracing my steps along this Well-Worn Path as of late, passing familiar landmarks and taking joy in the fact that I serve a gracious and compassionate God and Savior knowing that it is not bad thing that I am re-traveling this part of the path so long as I am now a better man and servant by it. I only hope that by glancing back if only for moment at where I've been I'll be encouraged and know that it is by God's grace that I've been restored and with his power and help I won't go back to where I've been.

No comments: