Sunday, February 17, 2008

Meaning and Significance

I can remember a very bitter time in my life. The time was during my years of study @ Carson-Newman. Mind you that all that time I was single and searching for that one woman that would be the one with which I would spend the rest of my life with. 2 1/2 or 3 years in I really can't recall the night that my friend Whipple and I were having one our in-depth talks. I can remember vividly talking about my disdain that I had yet to find the one that I was to spend the rest of my life with. I recall vehemently expressing my disgust at the false notion that I felt that everyone around me was finding success with regard to relationships when all I could find was rejection and "lets just be friends". Mind you actual attempts at "love" and relationships were few and far between but the ones that were attempted ended in the aforementioned results.

It was during one of these talks that Whipple suggested that I listen to a song that at the time had just recently been recorded and released by Derek Webb a song called "Wedding Dress" I listened to it and thought how cute its talk about a man and wife. How sadly was I wrong, only to after many years of listening to and falling in love with the tune, and actually learning how to play it recently did I finally discover and realize the truth & significance behind it.

What my friend was so wisely trying to show me is to view and have Jesus Christ as the ultimate lover of my soul before anything else. As it is referred to in the song and as Derek explains on another album called the "The House Show" because of my unbelief in the gospel, the word that Christ saves me and also says that God will provide for me in every facet of my life I would seek to be woo(ed) by lovers less wild attempting to substitute them or whatever it was for Christ. So first I should make Christ the center of my life and then other things would follow as blessing from the Lord.

I can say now more than ever and without any doubt that I finally have Christ in view as the ultimate and wildest lover of my soul.

Thank you Adam for starting me on the long journey so many moons ago. I'm finally walking with Christ in the right way.

No comments: