Saturday, December 23, 2006

To Santa or Not to Santa

*Disclaimer* If you reading this post and have young children make sure they're not in the room. I wouldn't want to be responsible for tearing a gaping hole in the the fabric of your child's imagination.
.
.
.
.
.
Yes I know the title is obscure but it does include my p0int. There is group pseudo-pyshco people who hold to the notion that if you as a parent choose to do the "Santa Claus" thing with your children your encouraging the concept that lying is ok. I for one think these people are those who figured out that Santa wasn't real at like age 5 and as a result did not have a happy childhood. On the other hand there are group of evangelicals among us that think the concept of Santa is from the pit and should be eliminated at all costs.

Personally I believe in a healthy balance between the "True" reason for the season and the elements of gift giving and receiving from the mythical figure of Santa. Its just one of those fantasies that every child should have the opportunity to experience.

Hopefully for those of my readership I haven't destroyed your only remaining childhood fantasy. However I am curious what the over all opinion is. I'm curious those of my readership who don't have kids will do the "Santa Thing" with your kids?????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows if we did the right thing. We were guilty of not praying about it, not even talking about it between husband and wife, and then my wife basically teaching our first child the truth of who St. Nick was. I generally like that approach, but when it happened for us we weren't really seeking first His kingdom in our approach to life in general. So, it is hard for me to speak from a great perspective on it. Praise God He's gotten us back on track now. :)